Sunday, November 15, 2009

Happiness in a busy world

Happiness is a butterfly which, when persued, is always just beyond your grasp but which, if you sit down quietly, may alight upon you.

How has my Life become so busy, such mania, the apex of the Drama Triangle? I attend two weekly yoga classes, I meditate with a happybuddhistmonk once a week (and I AGREE with him that the path of enlightenment is an open and happy heart!) I aim to be kind at all times, to live my Life with purpose, with respect.

So from whence cometh all the mania? Is it because we live in a technological age where information and knowledge (Note: I didn't use the word "understanding.") are but a click away? Our poor primal brains are trying to process far more information than they can cope with. Is it because I am a single mother of two very energetic little boys, with a full time job? Is it because I invite passion, courage and adventure into my Life? I think the answer is a combination of all these.

But! What, then, wise reader, is the solution? The yoga and meditation help still my mind, clear a calm space. And then my youngest child needed surgery for a perforated eardrum which necessitated many frustrating hours on the phone to medical aid. No sooner had that been dealt with than my eldest developed pleuracy. This morning I arrived at work to discover that the geyser in my classroom had burst. On friday I was charged eight hundred rand by a gynae for a twenty minute consultation. The rage, frustration and helplessness all seep back into my soul. Humanity and mankind are in a bad way. How have we got to a place where motherless children fend for themselves on our streets while others live in the lap of luxury? How can I NOT worry about these things? This is the world that my children are destined to grow up.

I can only try to live by example.
I greet people with an open and happy heart. I try to banish negativity from my Life. I make time to see the beauty in my Life. I am blessed with a loving family and amazing friends. I am blessed in this uncertain time of economic crisis to have a home and a job. My happybuddhistmonk friend says that we have become too insular. We are told that we can never love anyone until we learn to love ourselves when, in fact, we can only really love ourselves when we have learned to love others. Happiness, then, is not a station at which we arrive but rather a method of travelling. The place to be happy is here, the time to be happy is now. The way to be happy is to make others so. Wisdom and understanding must triumph over knowledge and information.

I resolve to be happy right here, right now. My Life is crazymaniabusy, but I will make time to smile, I will take time to spread love, light and laughter.
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment